Wednesday 19 January 2011

Getting to grips with Silver Clay


I have always enjoyed ceramics but have always disappointed that the pieces I made would be so fragile it was hard to keep them safe from little hands.
Having recently discovered the pleasures of crafting handmade silver jewellery, it came as a joy and inspiration to learn about the wonders of silver clay also known as precious metal clay or PMC. For me this was like the ultimate combination of my favorite things. I get to work initially as if with ceramic, then following firing the techniques change to some silver smithing techniques I have been attempting to get the hang of.

I cant tell you how addictive working with silver clay is, the possibilities are vast. As a relatively new product to the market many traditional jewellers remain rather wary of using PMC. However, it is gaining in popularity with artisans and home crafters, especially as it is such a pleasant non toxic product to craft with.

What is Silver Clay?

First developed in Japan Art Clay Silver is made of finely powdered pure silver, water, and binders. When heated to 800-850 degrees C., the organic binders burn off, leaving a pure silver piece.


Precious Metal Clay, PMC, is an exciting material developed and patented in the 1990s by Mitsubishi Materials of Japan. Microscopic particles of silver are mixed with a moist binder to create a material that has the feel and working properties of modeling clay.
Using simple tools, objects are easily given shape, texture, and character. After air-drying, the objects are heated to temperatures approaching the melting point of the metal. The binders burn off safely leaving the fine silver particles to fuse together to make a dense, fully metallic object.
Once fired the piece can be polished, soldered, enameled, and enjoyed like any other silver item. It may then also be stamped .999 or hallmarked traditionally as fine silver.

As I explained earlier I have only been using Silver Clay for a month or so, but as I am sure you too will find out it really is a joy to work with, and I can see this becoming a long term interest as I learn more about it and explore its possibilities in the coming months and years.

No comments:

Post a Comment