Friday 6 May 2011

Could it be the most sustainable bracelet in the World?

Recycled fine Silver buttons and Hemp Cord.
Hemp from the most sustainable plant known to man, many times stronger and softer than cotton and recycled fine silver buttons made from PMC.

What better than to combine my passions and put them into a bracelet? ...probably the most sustainable, eco-friendly bracelet on the planet, in my opinion.





I am passionate about living sustainably and considerately, most reflected in my day job as owner of Innocent Oils and certainly a high priority when it comes to the jewellery I make.

Silver often comes from strip mining, a labor intensive and dangerous job in itself, besides the fact that supplies of this precious metal are dwindling and it goes through a number of toxin inducing processes which further pollute the environment before you get to enjoy wearing the finished article.
For this reason I prefer not to involve strong chemical processes where possible when creating my jewellery.

So you can imagine my joy when working with Silver Art Clay. Made from recycled fine silver, a non-toxic binder and water, producing a clay like substance which when fired ends up as 99% pure silver.
Note: .925 Sterling silver is 92.5% silver the rest made up of an alloy such as copper to give it strength. This alloy goes black when soldered thus pickling is required to clean the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment