Tuesday 19 March 2013

From Sage Leaf to Silver Necklace

Sage has long been burned to purify and cleanse a space. The ancients burned dried sprigs of sage in temples and during religious rituals. The Greeks and Romans wrote that the smoke imparted wisdom and mental acuity. In the tenth century, Arab physicians said that sage brought about immortality, or at the very least, a long and healthy life. In England, seventeenth-century servants of the royal family scattered a blend of sage and lavender on the floors at court to help disguise the aroma of day to day life.


At home, I always have a plant on hand ready to save the day when a sore throat attacks....One of my favorite herbs, Sage (salvia officinalis) has had a long history of use to treat sore throats and coughs; often by gargling a tea made from its leaves.  


The sage leaf  used to make this piece was picked from my own organic herb garden and not that I'm expecting a silver sage leaf to protect me from a sore throat, ward off evil spirits or impart me with immortality any time soon, it does make a lovely unique necklace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment